Remarkably similar in taste to real beef stew, but made with kidney beans for that no-cholesterol, no-fat goodness.
- 1/2 cup dried beans or one can pre-cooked beans
- 2 - 3 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic chopped coarsely
- 1.5 cups yellow onion diced
- 2 cups potato diced (do not pre-cook)
- 1 carrot chopped coarsely
- 1 portabello mushroom sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoons each salt, pepper and chili powder pepper, and chili powder
- extra flour or cornstarch optional
- soy sauce nutritional yeast flakes (optional),
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Rinse and cook for half an hour.
- Add 2 or 3 cups water and bring back to a boil.
- Add the vegetables and spices, and bring back to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, until the potato and beans are thoroughly cooked.
- In a closed tupperware container, shake up two or three tablespoons of flour with a half cup of water.
- Add to the stew and bring to a boil.
- Boil for five minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add a small amount of soy sauce to darken the stew's color, and a few teaspoons of nutritional yeast flakes for flavor, if desired.