Persimmon Almond Scones with Pomegranate
- 1 1 /2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup Monkfruit Sweetner white
- ½ teaspoon cardamom ground
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil cold
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup Fuyu persimmons peeled and chopped (about 2)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the whole wheat flour, almond flour, monkfruit sweetener, cardamom, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine.
- Cut the coconut oil into the bowl and with a pastry cutter or your fingers work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until evenly distributed and the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the persimmon, pomegranate, coconut milk, and almond extract and stir just to combine. The less you handle and knead the dough the more tender your scones will be. Dust the parchment with a little pastry flour and turn the dough out onto the baking sheet. Gently form the dough into a circle about 1-inch thick and flatten the top. Using a dough scraper or sharp knife cut the dough into eight equal triangles. If you want the sides to be crunchy separate the slices about 1-inch apart otherwise leave them touching. Sprinkle the almonds over the top, followed by the coconut sugar. Bake the scones for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove the scones from the oven and immediately slide the parchment onto a cooling rack. The scones are best the first day but freeze well. To re-heat pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds. For even better texture thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat them in the oven at 350 for 7-8 minutes.